Credit to Stephen Harper

October 20, 2013 · By

I have, at times, been rather critical of Stephen Harper and the Conservative government. Their record has been spotty, even on economic matters (supposedly his area of wonk-y strength). However, under Harper, the Conservatives have remained consistently strong in one area, trade. The current deal (in principle) with the E.U. is no exception.

The trade deal is strong from top to bottom, almost. It will significantly increase access to the vast European market, and, better still, will allow Canadians the freedom to buy a lot more European goods. Unfortunately, there are a few drawbacks.

Canada had to concede to the repressive intellectual property regulations that Europe has on prescription drugs. This will actually hurt all Canadians, as individuals and provinces will, eventually, be spending more on drugs.

In addition to the IP issue, the trade deal reinforces Canada’s supply management system for dairy, eggs and poultry. Sure, the noose of supply management has been loosened a bit – allowing a little more European cheese into the Canadian market – but it’s still around our collective neck.

Mr. Harper’s government has appeared open, at times, to eliminating supply management. One can only hope that this trade deal isn’t indicative of continuing special privilege that certain farmers will receive. It might be the case that Mr. Harper is working incrementally towards the elimination of supply management, and the increased cheese quota is just a first step.

I have further thoughts on the trade deal at the Commons.

Comments

11 Responses to “Credit to Stephen Harper”

1. Greg Farries on October 21st, 2013 7:58 am [#]

Lets talk about this “noose” a bit more. Can you elaborate how our domestic dairy industry can be considered a noose?

2. Jonathan McLeod on October 21st, 2013 9:05 am [#]

The “noose” isn’t the domestic dairy industry. It’s supply management.

I used “noose” in the sense that it is something that restricts the natural flow of the subject at hand (in this case, the market). There’s no doubt that supply management (and protectionism in general) restricts market flows.

3. Eddie Achtem on October 26th, 2013 1:03 pm [#]

Harper? He is a Travesty of Justice.

It’s democray subverted to fascism, under the colour of democray

This is NOT defamatory Libal, because it is 100% truth. CPS Constable Matt Ball was thinking about doing attempted, but he gave up because they know if they arrest me they have zero change of conviction with a jury as judge. They would have done it along time ago, but will not because although MS has slowed down my think I am still too smart for them. I a bit of an odd duck too so others have said. Please at least become aware. Please at least read it. And the link address I left is the Supporting Document to back up the said alleged statement below.

Stephan Harper’s & Doug Horner’s cousin committed offences. Justice Karen Horner is in breach of Public Trust for deliberately going way too far beyond the extreme of Judical Immunity. Because she knowingly Rail-roaded me into into illegal cross-examation of documents that breach The Canada Evidence Act C-5, because these documents were not served, and they were NOT adduced (period). Resulting in her 2nd offence; ‘making a false statement in writing’. which is her Judgment is defacto. Because she based her judgment on cross-examination whereas the witness (me) was was fooled. Her Judgmenty is Defacto. Then the apeal panel deleberaty made up 11 perjured lies on their Memorandum of Judgment that nobody else can prove otherwise. The biggest lie is ‘documents were adduced. Documents were not adduced (period). And I sure will never stop fighting until the day the apeal panel shall answer to an Order of Reverse Onus. Ording them to show where documents were adduced? as in What lines and page number of the transcript where the documents were adduced. And no body knows the transcript better than me. So I want it to be shown.

I will not stop until the day I see LawLIARS Karen Horner. Carol Conrad, Peter Martin, and Alexander Park, Dallas Miller along with my ex-wife Rhonda Sails all in the slammer doing hard-time.

Furthermore to On May 16, 2014 I will lauch The Great Canadian Public Sector Crook Whistle Blowers Event. Starting in Edmonton. Then Calgary on June 1, 2014. Then Medicine Hat for mid-summer and will make an application to have Miller recuse himself. He will most likey arrest because for rousting up alot of people to be in court in court with me to bare witness to the organized crimes running rampid in our public sector of Miller, the said Justices and my ex-wife, in which they’ll become temped to conduct a cover-up. My ex is a Julie Fresieson, Rob Renner Crony who works for the city of Medicine Hat. Only if I’m not arrested then I’ll get back to reunite with the member of the Great Canadian Public Sector Crook Event.

4. Eddie Achtem on October 27th, 2013 4:35 am [#]

You said; “I have, at times, been rather critical of Stephen Harper and the Conservative government.”

Having said it, and others are critical too. An most certainly am I. My observation is if we do not always hold our representatives feet to the fire (on marshmellow stick). then we get bad Government – said Jesse Ventura in the documentary “The O’bama Deception”

However we’ll just forget Zionist-Jewish controlled mainstream media’s propaganda. Jimmy Patison I equate as a Minister of Proganda for Jewish Lobby.

Let’s only consider half- truths better than propaganda. Alternative media views on issues are a far mile better, but they don’t really NAIL it hard. That Builderberg shadow government. Harper, all Conservatives, all Liberal, all NDPs’, and Green Party MPs, and their sister provincial parties. They’re all a crime gang thay does NOT work for Canadians. They all work for Builderbergs.KingPins, They work to agragate wealth from the most to line their own pockets. 1st it’s for their own interbreeding bloodline, 2nd their cronies, 3rd public sector employees and in these current economic times there’s always going to be some judges or politians boy wants a cushy cake & pate eating postion. they all want a cushy life and they gonna take it from you know who so that, that boy eats cake.

You see where alternative media is missing the boat, NOT going after opportunity, that many tend to not remember. Forgetting the blood lines and their effect and role in the current day socioeconomic power structure. Builderberg; Royal Family INC an Jewish lobbyist. Do the puppet pulling.

Harper, and the Bushes are relatives sharing Royal Lineage with cousins like Regina Saxe Cothberg Gotha (aka Elizabeth Windsor share lineage stemming from Drakula. Saxe Cothberg Gotha’s changed there name as a lame attempt to hide mid-evil Royal Red Dragon lineage. Drakula is a fictional character base on the real character Vlad the Impaler aka. Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia, House of Drăculești.  Count Dracula is a fictional character based on Vlad the Impaler.

Royal Family Inc. is a bottomless pit that goes on & on & on. Stephen Harper’s lineage stems directly from Drăculești. why is alternative media missing the boat? Reporters need to Nail it!

O’bama, Bushes, Chenney’s massive family they are apart of Royal family Inc. They are Royal Puppets & Royal Kangaroos do indeed work for their cousins Royal KingPins like Rockafeller, the fellow that knows me personally Royal KingPin Mark Carney

Kinpins, puppets, kangaroos… Public Sector Crooks…
    They are the Masters, We are the slaves.. They are the CONTROL GRID! We are their milk Cows… Got it? As long as there is Public Sector Crime. Evil One’s pulling P U P P E T S T R I N G S We will prosper Because Albert Einstein said; “In the middle of difficulty Lies Opportunity”

Do not turn blind eyes… I myself have direct lineage stemming from Jame I, but not 10th century Vlad the Impaler and NOT the 1166 John Pagenate like alot of public sector fascist have.

Search You Tube for video; ‘ 12 year old girl tracks lineage of Presidents ‘

Check it! Now go to it.

5. Charles Anthony on January 2nd, 2014 12:11 pm [#]

I am with Eddie. I do not give Stephen Harper any credit at all.

Jonathan,
    It is all smoke and mirrors. Expanding 2% imports to 4% is obviously nothing and a ruse.

Greg,
    Every restriction in trade is a noose. The noose is the restriction of dairy imports. What more needs to be discussed?

6. Greg Farries on February 6th, 2014 9:45 am [#]

> Every restriction in trade is a noose.

Free trade is a illusion. It’s no secret that foreign governments often subsidize specific industries. Look no further than the US or European farm subsidies (or our own, for that matter).

As a domestic business, do you want to complete with a foreign product that is being sold at a price point that is LOWER than the cost of production?

7. Charles Anthony on February 6th, 2014 1:21 pm [#]

I am not a domestic business. I am a tax-payer who likes eating more than just cowboy cheese.

I have no vested interest in controlling international trade. I would rather not subsidize anybody else’s business but my own and cheddar, cheddar and more cheddar is not going to cut it.

8. Greg Farries on February 6th, 2014 1:55 pm [#]

If you’re referring to the dairy industry, they get little or no direct subsidies. They are however, protected from highly subsidized foreign dairy operations.

9. Charles Anthony on February 7th, 2014 11:15 am [#]

Protection is a subsidy.
    My taxes, your taxes and everybody else’s inflated currency goes directly to enforce the protection.

I have no problem with protection rackets, per se, as long as they are funded by the racketeers’ own money. Unfortunately, that is not how things operate in our Western economy.

10. Greg Farries on February 7th, 2014 1:28 pm [#]

So you would be OK with marketing boards, so long as the producers pay for the regulations and for the internal management? I’m sure most producers would have no problem with that arrangement.

However, I’ll remind you that your tax dollars already go towards big expensive trade junkets to foreign countries to drum up “free” trade agreements with governments whose industries are subsidized to the hilt.

Not to mention, that once you do through open the industry to complete on an uneven international playing field, the second that industry gets into trouble they come begging for, and often get, a massive bail out.

If we’re talking about cows, compare the stability of the dairy industry to the beef industry.

11. Charles Anthony on February 11th, 2014 6:39 am [#]

Sure, I would be OK with marketing boards so long as not a single tax-dollar went to protect them either.

I do not care about stability in their businesses. None of that is my concern nor should it be the concern of most tax-payers.

It is well within our means to get all of the raw milk, free range, grain fed DELICIOUS and HEALTHY food we want only a drive away.

However, there are nooses preventing us from doing so where I live.

Got something to say? (Read the rules first)